One of the most difficult decisions in a man’s life is to choose between a best friend and a girlfriend. This has been a concern in every relationship that has ever existed. While we love our girlfriends with all our heart, there can be no replacement to a best friend in our lives. We’d hate to choose, bit if we really had to, here’s why we think best friends will always be more special!
1. You never really had to impress your best friends or woo them, unlike your girlfriend. There was no ‘chase’, no pretence. Friendship is the purest form of connection between two people!
2. They don’t demand your time. You can not be in touch with them for a full week and still remain the best of friends. Try doing that to your girlfriend!
3. Girlfriends may be biased with their advices (whether out of love or concern) but best friends never are. They’re always genuine and real with their words, which is why you’ll find the most stupid friends give you the most sensible advice when the time comes.
© Eros International
4. You can totally be your true self in front of them without being corrected or judged, do things you never could in front of your girlfriend and be assured they’ll be your partners in crime in all the silliness.
5. You don’t have to lie to people (especially your parents) about having a best friend. You’re always old enough to have a best friend.
6. They make every occasion, every single event in your life unforgettable, and always in a superb way. While you’d think twice before going somewhere with your girlfriend, your best friends are never a misfit, no matter what the situation is!
7. You don’t have to be properly dressed up to meet them. In fact, you’re usually at your shabby best around them. Ever wonder why you two don’t have a single good picture together?
8. You never have to plan anything – be it anniversaries or birthdays or just dinner dates. Best friends have a rule. They never gift each other anything. Oh, and they are even allowed to forget birthdays! It just all evens out.
9. They are always up for a drinking plan. Always.
© Panorama Studios
10. Commitment phobia doesn’t even exist in the friend world! There’s never that dreaded discussion about where the friendship is heading.
11. They don’t get jealous when you talk to other girls. They don’t secretly read your messages. Unless you leave your account logged in.
12. As clichéd as it may sound, girlfriends may come and go but best friends are forever. They may be the craziest people, but there’s one thing they always do right – stick around.
© Excel Entertainment
13. Fights are never a big deal. And anyway, fist fights are so much better than not talking for days! Best friends really save you the emotional torture of cold wars.
14. There is never a ‘we need to talk’ moment with a best friend. Sigh!
15. You can be at your nasty best in front of your best friends. You can hit them, hurl the most obscene abuses at them, play the meanest pranks and still not be judged! They will never lecture you on being a sexist or chauvinist, because they know you mean none of it.
16. They know your flaws, insecurities and eccentricities and love you nevertheless! You don’t have to change a thing about yourself. They are much more accepting than anyone else in your life, especially your girlfriend.
17. You don’t have to behave a certain way with friends. You’re not expected to pull chairs or pay the bill. You don’t argue over “I’ll pay”, you argue over “Saale…aaj tu de de!”.
18. You have all the personal space you want because they have a life of their own too. No burden. Your unavailability is not the end of the world to them. It’s casual and still stronger than most bonds in your life.
© Eros International
19. You can never get angry with them for too long because you will always have something important to tell them.
20. If there were no best friends, whom would you discuss your girlfriends problems with? They keep you sane.
21. They’re not overprotective. They let you be and more often than not are the reason for some of the most embarrassing moments of your life. They make you test your own limits, especially drinking limits.
© Yash Raj Films
22. They don’t expect you to go shopping with them. But if you want them to come, you know how to blackmail them into coming.
23. They’re always there to pick you up whenever you need them – be it an embarrassing situation at the club or any other problem in life. They have your back. Always.
24. Their doors are always open when you want to crash after a late night party. They would even go to the extent of lying to their parents about why you threw up in their bathroom last night!
25. Your parents always trust them more than your girlfriend. And you know how easy that makes your life.
26. They may put you in trouble every now and then, but they are the ones who help you end your fights with your girlfriend – be it lying to her for your benefit or just making her understand your point of view. To some extent, you do owe your relationship to your best friend!
27. Even though you don’t expect it out of each other, you’ll find that your best friends are always available, whether you need them or not.
© UTV Motion Pictures
Photo: © Eros International (Main Image)
While you’re at it celebrating your friendship, check out these 21 things only best friends can relate to, right here.